Monday, March 1, 2010

Long Live The TRS-80


I grew up in the 80's and one thing I will never forget is the TRS-80. This was the biggest piece of shit known to man kind as far as I am concerned but it totally charged my imagination. Before I got to a computer class I had never seen a computer nor had I any idea of how to run one. Anway the TRS-80 sparked my imagination and it was a tool I will never forget. I spent a semester working with upper classman programming programs and getting graded on how well I did. Most of the semester I worked with a guy I called Dan O. He was really nice to me and turns out he ended up going to Harvard. After about 30 years now I have spoken with him via facebook and we laugh about this computer. You actually had to insert a tape to save your data. I would love to get my hands on this machine and look at it again. Now I look at it and think about the concept/ I think Apple came out shortly after.

I want my kids to learn on the computer at school and be part of today's technology. I tell them you dont have to get everything right you just need to learn for things for yourself. And if your a C student so be it as long as you learn for yourself. The point is I dont know if they teach kids anymore in the high school level to program on a computer. I'ts not a matter of what you program works for ever its a matter of weather or not you can learn something new. Throughout most kids lives there is always a moment I think when they realize I'm either going to work at school or I'm just going to party my way thought it. For me I finally started working at it once I knew I (a farm boy) could actually learn and program a computer. I guess after thinking about it I was never given a lot of self asurrance and that is something I feed my kids every day.

Long Live The TRS-80


The Black Widow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.

The Black Widow